You could not come soon enough. I’m not one to linger on the past, so I won’t lay blame or tell you all the ways you could’ve really improved things by arriving sooner. Your evil stepsibling, 2020, was wholly irresponsible and honestly, a lot of us are wary now of what dangers you might be hiding. I think it prudent for me to outline my expectations for the coming year.
- Only nice surprises, please
- Kindness is the law of the land–and this means: no name-calling, no physical violence
- Allow us to heal
- I want reason and order
- Give those who need it an extra kick of Empathy Cocktail
- End poverty and hunger
- Bring together friends and family who’ve been separated too long
- Let artists do their art
- Let scientists do their science
- Let activists bring about awareness and positive change
- Let every person have a voice
- Give us lots of great books
- Bring us inspiration
- Bring laughter
And finally, let 2021 be like a romance novel, where good triumphs, and love wins.
Thank you, 2020, for whatever small mercies we were given (because I realize it could’ve been worse, although that’s hard to imagine). And thank you, 2021, for ushering in a new year and allowing me to hope for and envision something better.